How Do You Get A Replacement For Your Social Security Card?

//How Do You Get A Replacement For Your Social Security Card?

If you lost your social security card, you should know that the process of getting a replacement is pretty straightforward. There are only two things you need to do. One is to prove your identity and two is to prove you are an American citizen or a legal immigrant.

What documents do you need to present?

In order to prove your identity, you can present either your driver’s license, state-issued identity card that isn’t a driver’s license, or passport. Presenting any of them will already prove your identity as well as your US citizenship.

If you don’t have any of them or you lost them and cannot get a replacement any time soon, you can present the following instead. For proof of identity, you should present a US military card, health insurance card, school ID, or employee ID. To prove citizenship, you must present a birth certificate.

Recent changes to the law have limited the number of documents you can present to prove you are a citizen. They have limited the choices to two. Aside from your birth certificate, the only other document you can present to prove your citizenship is your passport.

If you are an immigrant, Social Security will require you to present the admission stamp of your passport or I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, work permit I-766 Employment Authorization Document or EAD. Aside from these, other acceptable documents include your permanent resident card with your passport.

Once you have your documents, bring them to the nearest Social Security office. Whenever possible, bring the original or if not, bring a copy that is certified by the agency that issued it. Photocopies are not accepted and even those that have been notarized cannot be accepted.

When you arrive at the Social Security office, fill out the application form for card replacement. If you aren’t sure which one it is, ask an officer.

How long does it take for your replacement card to arrive?

It usually arrives within ten days after sending your application. Do you have to apply in person? Yes, you do, unless if you are physically unable to do so.
We’re not sure about this, but you can have someone else apply on your behalf. You should call the nearest Social Security office to be sure.

There was a time when getting a new card or a replacement was easy, however, as the risk of identity theft is real, the government has made sure only verifiable documents are presented to them.

In oder to find a Social Security office near you, just go to the website That is the official website of the government agency.


In conclusion, having your card replaced is a fairly simple process. You just have to present the appropriate documents. The same is true when you apply for a new card or have it renewed. And perhaps that’s why people have attempted to abuse the system.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just go to the Social Security website we mentioned here. Get to know more at